Sunday, August 1, 2010

Interview with Brandi Hill

An Interview with Brandi Hill

1. How did you get started in the industry?
I sold everything I owned when I was accepted into UF (couldn’t take it with me-living in that half a room school gave me, lol) Anyways, that money was itching in my pocket so I went out and bought a $3,000 digital camera. It paid itself back in about a year and half. I started shooting parties for FREE then once I created a demand for myself *everyone wants pictures that make their party look hot :) I started charging small amounts. Then it just grew from there. Looking back i am embarrassed to admit I shot frat parties when I first started. I think it’s like a step above shooting for girls gone wild :(

2. Why did you pick this type of work in the photography world?
It’s a fairly decent amount of cash for little investment (time)---and it is satisfying to me to see happy clients....I have never had a bride NOT cry.

3. Were there any types of goals set when you started your business?
None I didn’t really take it serious until about 2009

4. How do you go about to marketing yourself to clients?
WORD OF MOUTH ONLY

5. What other types of skills should I work on besides camera skills?
I would say personal skills but that would be hypocritical... as i have no personal skills. I am socially awkward and suffer from social anxiety which results in me saying really inappropriate things that offend people- But when they see their pictures they forget about all that- I think with photography you either have the eye or you don’t.

6. What do you like or dislike about your job?
It use to be shooting people that I don’t like or events that I don’t necessarily stand for- parties, fake people etc. Luckily, I am established now so I can somewhat choose my shoots :)

7. What is your day like on the job?
I am relaxed now- I still overshoot at every event- even though I always say I won’t.

8. Do you use social media? If so how has it helped you in your career?
FACEBOOK IS JESUS- no seriously; facebook was great for me before i could afford a website.

9. How do you make yourself stand out from other photographers?
I DONT COMPARE- I’m entirely too busy to visit other photographers websites. REALLy- I don’t- I have some close friends who are photographers. This non-competitive attitude keeps me relaxed. When i am relaxed things just flow, I’m not restricted- I am pretty confident that my work is unique

10. Have you worked with other photographers on projects?
I work alone mostly- but I hate when others shoot with me, especially movie cameras because they get in my shot and I have to spend extra time editing them out of my images.

11. What were the worst things that happen to you while you were on the job?
I lost a lady’s’ wedding photos (just the pre-wedding stills) Not the entire ceremony. It was my 2nd wedding when I was in college.

12. What advice would you give someone like me that is just starting out in the photography world?
Expect to work for free at first- get a smug mug account and charge minimally a little later- when shooting kids don’t underbid yourself- PARENTS will pay ANYTHING for cute kid pictures :) DONATE your services to good causes *(or good people who can’t afford pictures) ATLEAST ONCE A MONTH and give a portion of your proceeds to a good cause- people like that and it helps get you more work because it puts your name out there- thus allowing you to give more.

No comments:

Post a Comment